Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Joe De Cruz: visiting temples & churches with friends

Joe De Cruz, Tamil writer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73QUxSSBWUc

"
When I was young, I would sometimes visit temples with my Hindu friends. They were amazed that I, a Catholic Christian, would come to the kovil (temple).

However, I was the one truly amazed. My Hindu friends, when they came to a church, would pray with the same Bhakthi (devotion) that they would in a Shiva kovil, Sandana-Mariamma kovil or Mutharamman kovil.

However, when I would go to a Shiva temple, say the Svayambu Linga Swami kovil, once the temple of the Parathavas, I would only admire the sculpture or architecture. I would not pray. But not anymore. With folded hands and a melting mind, I do pray. (Quotes from Manikkavasagar's Thiruvasagam).

ஓம் நம சிவாய
நமசிவாய வாழ்க நாதன் தாள் வாழ்க
இமைப்பொழுதும் என் நெஞ்சில் நீங்காதான் தாள் வாழ்க
ஏகன் அனேகன் இறைவன் அடி வாழ்க
"

No comments: